A Journal of My Thoughts (Part 3)

Good morning!  I hope everyone had a wonderful and fun Halloween!  I unfortunately had to work all day, but I was able to dress up a little for work.  And I had my fun Molly McIntire costume!  That costume was fun to put together and wear around to take photos in.  So my Halloween wasn’t too bad after all.

We continue on the journey of the court case.  I hope that James and Daniel can figure it how to win the case.  This Adventure will continue on and I hope you enjoy!

A Journal of My Thoughts

December 13, 20–

Today was interesting to say the least.  James and I spent the entire day working on Mr. Neasvelle’s case.  I didn’t want to waste any time on the case and I wanted to make sure we had the best chance at winning.  I remember looking at the case file to see what the police had said.

There were no fingerprints on the safe except for our client’s ex-wife.  It was suspected that the intruder was wearing gloves while he worked, but there still wasn’t any evidence that it was Mr. Neasvelle.  The problem with the case is the money. Mr. Neasvelle says that he had paid his ex-wife in cash that he had received as tips from his waiter job.  There was no way to prove that the money wasn’t stolen from the store.

I remember James telling me something that he thought was interesting.  He told me that the police had talked to Mr. Neavelle’s neighbors about if they heard anything that night.  One of them wasn’t home the night that everything happened and the other works nights so he wasn’t home. Everything seemed to not be in our favor.

But I wanted to check on that again.  We ended up going to Mr. Neavelle’s apartment to talk to his neighbors.  Was it against the law? Probably. I should probably brush up on that to make sure I wasn’t breaking the law.  But either way we had to check to see what was true.

I knocked on the first door and a woman answered the door.   I asked if they knew Mr. Neasvelle and she confirmed that she knew of Mr. Neasvelle but didn’t know too much about him.  The woman, I think her name was Julie (?), was very sweet and said that Mr. Neasvelle just kept to himself all the time. I asked her if she knew anything about his jobs and she said no but she did see him wearing two different kinds of uniforms.  Then I asked her about the night of the break in and she said she heard him come home around 10 pm but she fell asleep shortly after she heard her grandfather clock strike 10.

How a person can sleep with a grandfather clock chiming every hour I will never know.

So I pressed her harder to see if she knew anything else.  She assured me that no, she didn’t know anything else. But then she stopped and told me that she suddenly remembered getting ready in the morning around 8 am and hearing some pounding outside her apartment.  She looked out the window to see Mr. Neasvelle rushing down the stairs and toward his car. I thanked Julie for her time and gave her my card.

As I walked to the other apartment I realized that Julie’s story matched up perfectly with the police story.  Mrs. Neasvelle arrived at her store around 8 am and Mr. Neasvelle showed up around 8:30 to give her his portion of the child support.  I couldn’t be 100% sure, but I am almost positive that it is a 30 minute drive across town to her store.

I knocked on the second apartment to a very unhappy young man.  He looked exhausted. I introduced myself and the man, Austin, asked me how long it was going to take because he wanted to get another nap in before he went to work.  I apologized and told him I forgot that he worked nights. I promised him I would make it quick if he helped me out. He asked if I was here regarding Mr. Neasvelle and when I said yes he told me what happened that night.

According to Austin, he left for work around 10 pm and saw Mr. Neasvelle coming home from work.  They exchanged hellos and went their separate ways. Austin told me that he came home during his lunch period, arriving at home at 2 am, and saw all of Mr. Neavelle’s lights off except for one.  He told me it peaked his curiosity and he peered into the window to see Mr. Neasvelle counting out some money. He didn’t look too far into the subject because that was an invasion of privacy. I asked him if he remembered anything else which he said no to.  I gave him my card and thanked him for his time.

On my way back to my car, I had to take a moment to think.  I had to ask James about the time that was posted on the security tapes from Mrs. Neasvelle’s shop.  I could’ve sworn that the breakin was at 2 am. And if it was, then Austin’s story would’ve proven that Mr. Neasvelle was at home during the time of the break in.

My butt barely hit the driver’s seat when I hit the call button on my phone.  I had to ask James before I forgot. Thankfully he answered right away and I asked my important question.  When was the break in? I heard some papers shuffle when James told me the awesome news.

The break in was at 2:13 am.

This meant that there was no way for Mr. Neasvelle to leave his apartment at 2 am and get all the way to his ex-wife’s store in 13 minutes without breaking every traffic law in the book.  I told James what I found out and he cheered. We finally found a small piece of information that actually made our case winnable.

Does this mean that the case it cut and dry in our favor?  Absolutely not. The police still think that our client did this and was very careful about the whole thing.  Do I think this gives us a little more leverage into the winning the case? Absolutely.

Am I exhausted after finding all of this information?  Yes. So I’m hitting the sack. G’night.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s